Restaurateurs Jason Davidson, Rocco Termini and Mike Shatzel of Liberty Hound, Tappo & Thinman Brewery are proud to welcome Buffalonians and visitors to the The Terrace at Delaware Park. An approachable, yet unparalleled dining destination in one of Buffalo’s most cherished locations. For the first time since the late 1800’s, the Delaware Park Boat House (AKA Marcy Casino) is open to the public for dining and cocktails!
Interior woodwork for The Terrace was custom designed to pay homage to the casino’s history, Hoyt Lake and the surrounding neighborhood. The heart pine hardwood flooring, mosaic tile, rich walnut wainscoting, exposed brick walls and ornate fireplace are all warm details reminiscent of the area’s heritage. An arch and beam system was installed in the nave of the Terrace to enliven the long and vast ceiling. The bar area has a feeling of coziness juxtaposed with the openness of the dining room and the natural surroundings of the park.
The Terrace at Delaware Park is located on the upper level of the Marcy Casino, across from the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. The lower Pan Am Room has a spacious covered patio, and is perfect for weddings & private parties of 50-200 guests. The casino is situated on a sloping hill between Hoyt Lake and the historic Rose Garden.
History: Plans for Delaware Park were designed by renowned landscape architect, Frederick Law Olmsted in 1868. By 1874, Olmsted’s partner, Calvert Vaux, designed the original Boathouse where the Marcy Casino now sits. Due to its popularity, the boathouse was eventually enlarged, but sadly was destroyed by fire in 1899. The structure was rebuilt in time for the 1901 Pan-American Exposition that took place throughout Delaware Park. The current building was designed by Buffalo architect E.B. Green, and was known as The Delaware Park Casino, serving as a gathering place for residents of the city. It was renamed ‘Marcy Casino’ in honor of the late Delaware District Councilman, William L. Marcy, Jr., a champion of saving the casino from ruin and demolition.
Fact: the building has never been a modern gaming facility – the term casino is borrowed from Italian usage, meaning boathouse or summer house!